There is no question about it. These are stressful times. Stress management is important anytime but especially during times of uncertainty. Here at David & Associates we care about your physical and emotional health and for this post would like to offer you a few simple ideas to manage the stress in your life right now.
- Know that this too shall pass. No matter how things appear right now, nothing lasts forever and this chapter won’t either. Sometimes keeping that perspective will help fight the doom and gloom feelings you may experience right now.
- Keep up good nutrition. Stress and the anxiety that often comes with it can take its toll on your mental health and your body. Being stressed can increase your need for certain nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin B, selenium, and magnesium. As tempting as it is during challenging times to resort to junk and comfort food, we don’t advise it. Eat a well rounded diet and include some of these foods when feeling anxiety (recommended by Medical News Today): Brazil nuts, fatty fish, turkey, dark greens, dark chocolate, eggs, yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and green tea.
- Drink water. Studies have shown that dehydration leads to higher cortisol levels—the stress hormone— the last thing you want when feeling stressed anyway.
- Get outdoors. Fresh air, greenery, the sounds of wildlife – these are things that do the body and spirit some good. Take a walk, go for a bike ride, sit and read outside on your patio… even a few minutes here and there outdoors throughout your day will really help to keep anxiety at bay.
- Count your blessings. Keep a gratitude and write down a few things you are thankful for right now. Add to the list each day. It is hard to feel stressed and in a bad mood when you are focusing on the gifts you enjoy in your life.
“A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety”. ~Aesop, Fables